At Coulon Stone Ltd, we source and curate an unparalleled selection of natural stones and composite quartz materials. Each stone tells its unique story, crafted by nature itself. Explore our wide range of options, carefully handpicked to ensure unmatched quality and durability, while being mindful of the environment.
Below is just a small selection of the slate available, please visit our showroom for a larger selection.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for at our showroom we recommend you visit one of our suppliers, for example The Marble and Granite Centre, where you can pick out your stone and we’ll have it delivered to our factory to be fabricated.
Brazilian Grey - Riven and Honed
Italian Black - Riven and Honed
- A natural stone
- Primarily formed with the coming together of clay and volcanic ash
- Can be honed or riven
- Slate varies significantly in durability – Italian Slate is softer, not appropriate for a worktop, however the Brazilian is a bit tougher. We can also source Berwyn Slate from Wales which is really strong and great for worktops
- Thicknesses: 20mm or 30mm
People might choose slate because:
- It’s a very traditional worktop surface, which depending on the finish can look rustic farmhouse or modern industrial
- Slate works really well as flooring for both interiors and exteriors
Durability (out of 5)
- Durability Rating: 3-4
- Can I put a hot pan on it? Yes
- Will it stain if I chop beetroot on it? No, however oily foods will
- Will it leave visible scratches if I chop on it? Some yes, particularly if polished
- Can it be made water tight? Yes
- Is it susceptible to watermarks? Yes if not sealed correctly